Monday 18 March 2019

Poetry Revisited: My Star by Robert Browning

My Star

(from Men and Women: 1855)

               All that I know
                   Of a certain star,
               Is, it can throw
                   (Like the angled spar)
               Now a dart of red,
                   Now a dart of blue,
               Till my friends have said
                   They would fain see, too,
My star that dartles the red and the blue!
Then it stops like a bud, like a flower hangs furled
     They must solace themselves with the Saturn above it.
What matter to meif their star is a world?
     Mine has opened its soul to me therefore I love it.

Robert Browning (1812-1889)
English poet and playwright

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear anonymous spammers: Don't waste your time here! Your comments will be deleted at once without being read.