Monday 13 July 2015

Poetry Revisited: 21 - Why Did He Choose by Rabindranath Tagore

Poem #21: Why Did He Choose

(from The Gardener: 1915)

Why did he choose to come to my door, the wandering youth, when
   the day dawned?
As I come in and out I pass by him every time, and my eyes are
   caught by his face.
I know not if I should speak to him or keep silent. Why did he
   choose to come to my door?

The cloudy nights in July are dark; the sky is soft blue in the
   autumn; the spring days are restless with the south wind.
He weaves his songs with fresh tunes every time.
I turn from my work and my eyes fill with the mist. Why did he
   choose to come to my door?

Rabindranath Tagore
(1861-1941)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear anonymous spammers: Don't waste your time here! Your comments will be deleted at once without being read.