Here's a list of literary film adaptations featured in this blog:
- Atonement (2007) based on the novel Atonement (2001) by Ian McEwan
directed by Joe Wrigth, starring James McAvoy, Keira Knightley, Saoirse Ronan, Romola Garai, and Vanessa Redgrave
- Away from Her (2007) based on the short story The Bear Came Over the Mountain (2001, advance publication in The New Yorker Dec. 1999/Jan. 2000) by Alice Munro
directed by Sarah Polley, starring Julie Christie (Golden Globe as Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama), Gordon Pinsent, Olympia Dukakis, and Michael Murphy.
- A Beautiful Mind (2001) based on the (unauthorised) biography A Beautiful Mind: a biography of John Forbes Nash, Jr., winner of the Nobel Prize in economics, 1994 (1998) by Sylvia Nasar
directed by Ron Howard, starring Russel Crowe, Jenniffer Connely (Oscar as Best Supporting Actress), Paul Bettany, and Ed Harris.
- The Blue Angel (1930) based on the novel Small Town Tyrant (Professor Unrat: 1905) by Heinrich Mann
directed by Josef von Sternberg, starring Emil Jannings, Marlene Dietrich, and Hans Albers
- Chocolat (2000) based on the novel Chocolat (1999) by Joanne Harris
directed by Lasse Hallström, starring Juliette Binoche, Johnny Depp, and Alfred Molina
- The Commitments (1991) based on the novel The Commitments (1987) by Roddy Doyle
directed by Alan Parker, starring Robert Arkins, Andrew Strong, Maria Doyle, Bronagh Gallagher, Angeline Ball, and Johnny Murphy.
- The Hours (2002) based on the novel The Hours (1999; Pulitzer Prize Fiction) by Michael Cunningham
directed by Stephen Daldry, starring Nicole Kidman (Oscar as Best Actress in a Leading Role), Julianne Moore, Meryl Streep, and Ed Harri.
- Matilda (1996) based on the children's book Matilda (1988) by Roald Dahl
directed by Danny DeVito, starring Mara Wilson, Danny DeVito, Rhea Perlman, Pam Ferris, and Embeth Davidtz
- Murder on the Orient Express (1974) based on the crime novel Murder on the Orient Express (1934) by Agatha Christie
directed by Sydney Lumet, starring Albert Finney, Lauren Bacall, Sean Connery, Ingrid Bergman (Oscar as Best Supporting Actress), Michael York, Jacqueline Bisset, Vanessa Redgrave, Richard Widmark, Sir John Gielgud, Anthony Perkins, Martin Balsam, Rachel Roberts, Wendy Hiller, Denis Quilley, Colin Blakely, Jean-Pierre Cassel, and George Coulouris
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) based on the novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1962) by Ken Kesey
directed by Miloš Forman (Oscar as Best Director), starring Jack Nicholson (Oscar as Best Actor in a Leading Role), Louise Fletcher (Oscar as Best Actress in a Leading Role), Will Sampson, Brad Dourif, Danny DeVito, and Christopher Lloyd.
- Out of Africa (1985) based on the memoir Out of Africa (1937) by Karen Blixen (under the pseudonym Isak Dinesen)
directed by Sydney Pollack, starring Meryl Streep, Robert Redford, and Klaus Maria Brandauer
- The Song of Bernadette (1943) based on the novel The Song of Bernadette (Das Lied von Bernadette:1941) by Franz Werfel
directed by Henry King, starring Jennifer Jones (Oscar as Best Actress in a Leading Role), Gladys Cooper, and Charles Bickford