Monday 1 January 2018

Poetry Revisited: The Child and the Year by Celia Thaxter

The Child and the Year

(from St. Nicolas, Volume 12 #3, January 1885)

Said the child to the youthful year:
“What hast thou in store for me,
O giver of beautiful gifts! what cheer,
What joy dost thou bring with thee?”


“My seasons four shall bring
Their treasures: the winter’s snows,
The autumn’s store, and the flowers of spring,
And the summer’s perfect rose.


“All these and more shall be thine,
Dear child—but the last and best
Thyself must earn by a strife divine,
If thou wouldst be truly blest.”


Celia Thaxter (1835-1894)
American author and poet

3 comments:

  1. Hey very nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what the new year has in store for this woman of a certain age that I have become. No matter the season, I know it will include reading! My strife divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then, happy reading! May this new year be full of gorgeous literary discoveries for all of us!

      Delete

Dear anonymous spammers: Don't waste your time here! Your comments will be deleted at once without being read.