Monday 1 July 2013

My Mediterranean Reading Summer 2013


Summer, sun and the sea. That's what many Europeans yearn for during most of the year and millions of them are heading towards the South, towards the Mediterranean Sea in the holiday season. I prefer travelling in my mind – reading books. Why not see how many Mediterranean countries I'll get to know through the eyes of a writer this summer?

This is not a reading challenge as you know it from other blogs. There will be no prize waiting at the end and I won't list any participants. It's just me and my summer reads. However, if someone wishes to make it an official challenge, it's alright with me. Let me know and I'll publish the link.

And now join me on my four-month journey around the Mediterranean Sea! Here's my list of countries which I wish to visit through my reads between 1 June 2013 and 30 September 2013 and the first three books of the journey. The complete list of my reads as of 30 September 2013 is available in the summary.

Slovenia
Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho
Croatia

Bosnia & Herzegovina

Montenegro

Albania

Greece

Turkey

Cyprus

Syria

Lebanon

Israel and Palestine
Egypt

Libya

Malta

Tunesia

Algeria

Morocco

Gibraltar/U.K.

Spain

France

Monaco

Italy

2 comments:

  1. This is a lovely idea!!!

    If you are looking for a book that is situated in the pre-Yugoslavian area, I can recommend The Bridge on the Drina by Ivo Andrić. The Drina separates Serbia and Bosnia Herzegovina. The author received the Nobel Prize for literature even though he only ever wrote this one novel.

    Marianne from Let's Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation! The b ook is on my wishlist already. For the rest being in Austria with so many people from the countries of former Yugoslavia around I'll surely find something contemporary too. I love discovering writers who aren't too famous yet!

      Delete

Dear anonymous spammers: Don't waste your time here! Your comments will be deleted at once without being read.